We LOVE cooking over a campfire! We plan meals and treats that can be prepared over the fire so we can enjoy some extra family time without one of us tucked away inside the camper. And, it keeps the mess outside.
One of our favorite meals is campfire pies, also known as hobo pies, pudgy pies, etc, because our kids can join in the fun prepping their meals and they can customize their own pie. It’s super simple and the possibilities for dinner and dessert combinations are practically endless! Here are a few ideas to inspire your pie creations:
Campfire Pie Topping Ideas:
- Pizza Toppings
- Spaghetti (use garlic butter on the outside)
- Pie Filling
- Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Grilled Cheese – add bacon to take it to the next level
- Ham and Cheese – add egg for a breakfast-inspired pie
- Check out more options on General RV’s blog here.
How to Make a Campfire Pie:
- Prepare a campfire and wait until you have some good, hot coals
- Butter two slices of bread
- Spray your pie iron with cooking spray like Pam
- Place a piece of bread butter side down on one side of the pie iron
- Add the toppings of your choice on top of the bread
- Place the second slice of bread butter side up on top of the toppings
- Carefully close the pie iron and lock it
- Place the pie iron over the hot coals in your fire, check frequently until your pie is toasty and brown
Do you make other campfire pies? Tell us in the comments section below!